PSG as it is commonly known is a test conducted under medical supervision to support the diagnosis of sleep disorders. PSG test helps to treat ailments like sleep apnea, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, narcolepsy and many more.
What is PSG?
The test studies the different phases of sleep a person undergoes in the sleep lab. The sleep pattern is noted down to analyze the data. The person’s sleep isn’t disturbed while monitoring the sleep quality.
There are many kinds of PSG studies processed by sleeping specialists in Maryland. In accordance with the test results, diagnosis is done and sleep medicine Rockville, MD aids in correcting sleep disorders.
What is done during PSG test?
- The person’s brain waves are observed.
- The skeletal muscle activeness is evaluated.
- The body’s oxygen level, heart rate and even breathing rate are examined.
- The person’s eye movement while sleeping is closely monitored.
Normally, the disruption in sleeping happens because of many reasons. The identifying of the signs aids in getting treated as early as possible. Otherwise, there are chances of sleeping issues leading to other grave health problems.
Generally, the sleeping specialist doctors suggest not to consume alcohol or caffeine twelve hours before going for the PSG test appointment. The patients are strictly advised not to take any sedative or heavy dosage medications as they may impact the test results.
What happens during the PSG test?
- It always takes place in specialized sleep labs of big health care centers in Maryland. You are asked to book an appointment two hours prior to your normal sleeping time.
- Patients are given a private room where they spend the whole night sleeping as usual. To be more comfortable, patients are allowed to bring their nightwear.
- To evaluate the sleeping pattern, recording is done by using multiple electrodes fixed on the patient’s scalp, chest, temple and legs. The sensor electrodes have adhesive and are easily fixable on the person’s skin while they sleep.
- The elastic belts placed around chest and stomach support recording data of breathing level and chest movements. The data to the computer is sent by the wires connected with the electrodes.
- A certified technician would monitor the person’s sleeping pattern the whole night. They can converse with them as well. He will even be observing your body position, snoring, other noises you make during sleep and movement of your limbs.
The PSG test is painless, convenient and there won’t be any after effects. Thus, no worries and you can book your appointment now.